This recipe was so easy.
Leek and potato soup is a favourite of mine. Its a great winter tonic when the weather is cold and nasty. It warms you up and is very filling. The quinoa adds it own character to a very simple meal.
I went food shopping at 11.00 this morning and by 12.00 had prepared the soup in the slow cooker and gone out Christmas shopping. the soup just kept on cooking while I went through my day. I have just enjoyed this quinoa,leek and potato soup for tea – very tasty.
Normally you would use milk, eggs and flour to thicken the soup.
In this quinoa recipe the quinoa is the thickening agent. If it is cooked for a long time the quinoa will thicken soups and sauces quite well.
The ingredients are:-
- 2 very large leeks
- 1 onion
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
Method of cooking
- Warm up your slow cooker for 20 minutes on high setting
- Slice the leeks and potatoes.
- Chop the onion
- Fry these ingredients in a large wok for 2 minutes
- Add the stock and salt and pepper
- Bring the mix to the boil
- Add the quinoa and bring back to the boil
- Transfer the soup to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low setting for 5 – 6 hours.
- Just before serving purify the soup for 20 seconds.
- Serve on its own or with croutons
This quinoa soup recipe will be added to the quinoa cookbook for the next edition but for the moment get your leeks and get cooking.