This quinoa snack bar has proved to be one of the most popular in the Quinoa Cookbook. This is a simpler version of the recipe. When the book is updated this will replace the original version.
The combination of flavours is fantastic. A batch of 24 quinoa flakes bars like this only lasts a couple of days in our house.
In the UK I can only buy my quinoa flakes online. The infinity foods brand shown in the picture was bought from Baldwins.co.uk
1 cup (150gm) Mixed dried fruit
Juice from one large orange
5 drops vanilla Essence
4 tablespoons butter
3 cups (250gm) Quinoa Flakes
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup brown or demerera sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
To make this recipe you make a dry mix with some of the ingredients and a liquid mix with the rest of them. At the end you combine them together.
1. Soak the dried fruit in the orange juice and vanilla essence for an hour.
2. After an hour you can then start preparing the dry mix.
3. Melt the butter gently on the hob until it has melted. Then switch the heat off.
4. Add the chopped walnuts to the butter.
5. Then add the quinoa flakes and mix together thoroughly so that everything is blended together evenly.
6. Take this mix and put it into a mixing bowl. Add in the brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix well for a minute or so.
7. Leave this mix to one side and return to the fruit mix. Add the 2 eggs to the fruit and mix together well.
8. Put the 2 mixes together in the mixing bowl and combine them completely together.
9. Press the mixture into a well greased baking tin. Make sure the mix has an even depth in the baking tin.
10. Cook the quinoa cookies for 15 minutes on a medium heat (I use 170 degrees) until they start to turn brown. Do not over cook them.
11. Take out the cookies and cut them into squares. Cool them on a cooling rack. The are ready to eat as soon as they are cool.